Thursday, August 16, 2007

Gracie

My dog, Gracie. She's so sweet. I wish you all knew her. When we adopted her, they said she was a lab mix. That's how she was labeled. It's pretty obvious she is mixed with pit.


People look at her. Some ask, what kind of dog?
Others think she is full pit. Some even are scared of her.
Pull their dogs close to them.


I don't understand how people judge. Just like they judge me and my relationships.
Judge colors and religions. Disabilities and income levels.


Gracie would lick you to death before she would hurt anything.
Her tail is a drum, music always when she is around. Eyes of happiness
every time we walk in the door or throw a toy or give her a pet.
Simple. Joy.


Tonight she is calm. Lays at my feet. When I get up, she follows.
I sit back down, waiting for Liz and watching a documentary
about Iraq. Compelling.
I call her up on the couch - she isn't a big fan of the couch.
She leans on the back of the couch, facing me. I have my face close to hers, our
eyes interlocking.
I am giving her small pets on the side near her ear. She looks at me and gives me one lick.
Just one. This is unlike her usually, but when she's calm she controls her licks.
So appreciative. All the love she has for me and us, her owners, in that lick. I tell her I love her. She knows.


I have different relationships with each dog - like kids almost, but not. Pets.
They fill my heart.


I feel like Gracie is my soul mate dog. We are all connected.

1 comment:

photo_chiq said...

I to adopted a "lab mix" from the humaine society a few months ago. We are pretty sure he is a black lab/pointer mix but who really knows? he is 8 months old and getting pretty big so people are also scared of him... they will cross the street to walk on the other side, pull their kids close to them or turn around and walk in the other direction... But he is the nicest dog ever and just wants attention some pets and to play.. He is still a puppy and full of energy but people only see a big black dog and think he is mean. I totally know how much love you feel for your dog, mine is the light of my day.. Who else jumps up and licks you when you walk in the door so thrilled to see you? There is no other way to enter the house!