Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Visit to the ER

Sunday Liz was having chest pains. Monday we went to work and I didn't talk to her much all morning. Around 12 she called and told me she either had to go to the hospital or to the doctors because it hurt that badly. When Liz wilingly wants to go get medical attention, you know she is in pain.

I left work - Kieran took Liz home from work - and met her at home. She was finally able to get a hold of the doctors who told her to come in the next day at 9:45 am for an appointment because they didn't have any that day. She asked if they were sure because she was in such pain but they told her it would be alright. Needless to say this didn't sit right with me or Liz's family. We thought about it and decided to stay at home and relax and if it hurts in the littlest bit we'll just get up and go to the ER. If not, we'll keep the appointment for the following day.

I cooked dinner and after dinner things were kind of the same for her, not any better, so we went to the emergency room. We got there at 7pm. To make a long story short, we didn't get called back anywhere until 12:30 am and we didn't leave the hospital until 3:00 am. It was long, exhausting, and worrysome.

They took a chest x-ray and blood work and they all came back negative. They determined it was something called costrochondritis, which I know I didn't spell right. It's basically a swelling of the muscle and tissue between your sternum and rib cage and can only really be treated with strong asprin, like 800mg of Motrin. She has to take it easy, no psysical activity, and rest. I stayed home with her yesterday and today we both went to work. She wanted to. It was probably just too soon. She was in a lot of pain and discomfort. She left around 2 ish and talked to the doctor. They said it was normal. The hospital said if it got worse to come back. So we are just monitoring it. I am making her stay home for the rest of the week to just relax.

I have been really worried and scared but I'm also relieved and happy to know it's nothing really serious. I'm just so grateful.

So grateful.

No comments: